$100K in 100 Days Spring Challenge!
Donate by June 30th to be counted! Proceeds support early detection programs. View 2021 Giving Circle Brochure.
A Breath of Hope Lung Foundation is a Smart Givers accredited, best practice, 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization that is 100% funded by philanthropy. All donations are tax-deductible to the full extent of the law.
Despite the pandemic and its challenges, ABOH continues to offer quality program services that positively impact the lung cancer field and the lives of families coping with lung cancer.
During the spring of 2021, A Breath of Hope has doubled its focus on programs that lead to early detection. Your gift during the Spring Campaign supports $10,000 screening grants that help clinics overcome patient barriers to lung cancer screening, research awards focused on improving screening methods, rides for family members to receive their annual low-dose CT scan, a fall screening meeting for healthcare providers to encourage better outcomes through collaboration, and new marketing efforts that educate the public about the signs and symptoms of lung cancer.
SCROLL BELOW FOR WAYS TO GIVE.
The Pandemic Stimulus Bill: How it benefits donors
The CARES (Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security) Act was extended into 2021. This stimulus bill includes important benefits for some of our donors as they consider their charitable giving.
- Donors who make smaller gifts will be able to deduct them up to $300. This “above the line” deduction can be used for contributions of cash only (not stock) to qualified charitable organizations.
- Donors who make larger gifts will be able to deduct a much higher amount. Under past laws, an individual could deduct up to 60% of their adjusted gross income (AGI) for charitable deductions of cash. The stimulus package lifts that restriction, so that an individual can make a gift of cash only (so once again, not stock) and deduct it up to 100% of their AGI for the year 2020.
- Corporations have much greater incentives to make charitable gifts. Usually, corporate charitable gifts are limited to 10% of taxable income for the corporation. That limit has been increased to 25% of the taxable income, making charitable gifts much more attractive to companies.
Other Ways to Donate
Circle of Light Leaders transform our work through their annual commitment of $500 or more. This elite giving circle pledges a gift of $500 or more for the calendar year and gains attendance to exclusive (and fun!) Doc Spot events throughout the year. Join the 2021 Circle of Light.
Sustaining Friends offer a steady giving presence in support of programs for survivors and caregivers. From rides to treatment, to companionship, to support groups, this group of donors keeps our support services up and running for those living with lung cancer. Starting at $10.00/month, every sustaining gift matters! Become a sustaining friend!
Legacy Builders are visionary leaders who invest in the A Breath of Hope mission and vision of a world free from lung cancer mortality. From planned or estate gifts to one-time gifts of $25,000 to a lifetime giving of $100,000, this group is looking for deep and lasting impact. Please email us for more information.
Matching Gifts – Many companies offer programs that match charitable contributions from their employees at rates as high as 2 to 1 or even 3 to 1. If your company has a matching gift program, please contact our development department for help with the paperwork.
Named Research Grant – A Breath of Hope Lung Foundation’s “Named Research Grants” enable donors to fund part or all of a Research Fellowship in their name or in memory or honor of a loved one. For more information, call our office: 952-807-6111. The minimum contribution is $50,000.
Donate securities – For more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
IRA Charitable Rollover – see below
- If you are at age 70½ or older and are the owner of a Traditional IRA (or inherited Traditional IRA), and do not need all or part of your required minimum distribution, you can make tax-free IRA contributions directly to qualified public charities, such as A Breath of Hope Lung Foundation.
- Each age-eligible IRA owner can transfer up to $100,000 tax-free per tax year.
- Your IRA gift must be complete on or before December 31 of the calendar year in which you choose to utilize the IRA Charitable Rollover gift vehicle for tax purposes. Generally, if sent by US mail, the postmark determines the date of a charitable gift.
- The check must be made payable directly to A Breath of Hope Lung Foundation.
- You can only make outright gifts. The IRA Charitable Rollover cannot be used to fund life income gifts (such as charitable gift annuities or charitable reminder trusts).
Advantages of an IRA Rollover
- You can count your gift towards your annual required minimum distribution.
- Your distribution is not recognized as income on your federal income tax return, and therefore not eligible for a federal income tax charitable deduction.
- Under current federal tax laws, keeping your IRA distribution out of your adjusted gross income may save you taxes.
- The transfer process is quick and requires minimal paperwork. Your investment company can provide you with a form that is used to transfer the IRA funds directly to A Breath of Hope.
Will or Trust – A bequest is one of the most meaningful ways to make a gift to the A Breath of Hope Lung Foundation. Gifts of any size made through a bequest help ensure that the foundation receives valuable ongoing support. Donors can make a bequest by simply including a provision for A Breath of Hope Lung Foundation in their wills or trusts. And they can choose to give A Breath of Hope Lung Foundation a specific dollar amount or a percentage of their estates.
Bequests for A Breath of Hope Lung Foundation:
- Allow donors to make a generous gift while maintaining control of assets during their lifetimes.
- Can be designated for a specific program or can be unrestricted.
- Can be changed by the donor at any time.
- Will not be subject to estate tax.
To include a bequest for A Breath of Hope Lung Foundation in a will or trust, donors may wish to use the following sample language:
“I give [the sum, percentage] to the A Breath of Hope Lung Foundation, Wayzata, Minnesota, to be used [for the benefit of the foundation or _____ program] or [according to my written instructions* on file with the foundation].”
The foundation’s development staff can work with donors and their attorneys to customize this bequest language to ensure that it accurately reflects their wishes and that the A Breath of Hope Lung Foundation will be able to use their gifts as intended. For more information, contact our executive director, Nancy Torrison at 952-807-6111.
Testamentary charitable remainder trust
Some donors may consider establishing a testamentary charitable remainder trust with a retirement account or other assets. The trust would begin at the donor’s death and can provide income for family members or others for life or a term of years. The assets remaining in the trust then pass to the charities the donor has designated.
Information on this website is not intended as legal or tax advice. For information on how any gift may affect your tax situation, please consult with your own professional adviser.
In-Kind/Tangible Gifts – Donate to the Bags, Bling and Beauty Silent Auction (Women’s Wellness Tea), the Rest & Relaxation Silent Auction (A Breath of Hope Golf Classic) or our annual Shining Bright Gala. Our past silent auctions have featured items such as sports tickets, restaurant gift cards, hot air balloon rides, jewelry, hand-crafted gifts, tools, hotel stays/weekend getaways and private fishing excursions.
AmazonSmile – Amazon donates 0.5% of the price of your eligible AmazonSmile purchases to the charitable organization of your choice. When you shop at smile.amazon.com, you’ll find exactly the same shopping experience, with the added bonus that Amazon will donate to the organization you support.
Giving Assistant – Giving Assistant‘s mission is to transform the everyday shopping of millions of people into charitable actions that support nonprofits. How it works: Create a free account, then simply shop your favorite store online and earn cashback to designate to the nonprofit of your choice. Earn an average of 5.2% back on all purchases.
Services – Do you have a service to share with the A Breath of Hope Lung Foundation family? Maybe you work for, or own, a local restaurant or business? ABOHLF is always looking for creative ways to interact with the community.
Charities Review Council
- 2016 Note that 87 cents of each donor’s dollar goes straight to mission and programs!
- 2017 Note that 85 cents of each donor’s dollar goes straight to mission and programs! The rest pays for administrative and direct fundraising costs, such as technology, accounting, Gala expenses, etc.
- 2018 More than 80 cents of each donor’s dollar goes straight to mission and programs. The IRS requires 75 cents to program. We continue to seek ways to keep administrative costs low, while running a compliant and efficient nonprofit business.
- 2019 Note that 78 cents of each donor’s dollar goes straight to mission and programs!
990 Tax Form
Thank you donors for your tremendous support!