Support Group Updates During COVID-19:
Although we can’t host in-person events in the near future, lung cancer continues to disrupt lives, and the families we serve continue to need help. That’s why A Breath of Hope is practicing physical distancing, not social distancing. With that concept in mind, we are going to be offering five new virtual support groups in the coming weeks. Group meetings will be hosted on the following dates for up to 15 participants per meeting:
- Grief and Loss Support Group for anyone experiencing grief and loss related to lung cancer. Guest facilitator: Kelly Grosklags
- May 7: 6:00-7:30 p.m.
- April 8: 5:00-6:30 p.m.
- Survivor Support Group for Women who have experienced a lung cancer diagnosis. Guest facilitators: Dr. Abbie Begnaud and Teri Kast, RN, University of Minnesota.
- March 30: 7:00-8:30 p.m.
- April 13: 7:00-8:30 p.m.
- Survivor Support Group for Men who have experienced a lung cancer diagnosis.
- April 1: 6:30-8:00 p.m. – Guest facilitators: Dr. Anne Melzer, Minneapolis VA Health Care System and Kevin Collis, RN, Regions Hospital
- April 15: 6:30-8:00 p.m. – Guest facilitators: Dr. Anne Melzer, Minneapolis VA Health Care System and Kevin Collis, RN, Regions Hospital
- April 29: 6:30-8:00 p.m. – Guest facilitator: Teresa Wagner, RD, LD, Nutritional Weight and Wellness
All of the above sessions will be open to 15 attendees. Please RSVP to Mary@abreathofhope.org or call 952.456.2845 to receive login instructions.
Once the COVID-19 threat has passed, A Breath of Hope will resume the following support groups in our Minnetonka office. There is a specific group for survivors, as well as one for those who are grieving a loved one lost to lung cancer. Each group offers opportunities for learning, discussion and support and is led by professional, certified facilitators.
Grief groups will meet every other month from 6-8 p.m. in our offices. Each meeting will start with a one-hour large group session focused on a specific topic and led by a professional on that topic. The large group session will be followed by one-hour small group sessions for discussion about the topic and a chance for men, women, and adult children to talk about their own journeys and challenges. The small groups offer a more intimate place for personal discussions among those grieving for a loved one.
2020 Meeting Dates:
(RSVP preferred at email@example.com or 952-405-9201.)
- September 1
- November 2: “Remembrance Ceremony and Vigil”
Women’s Survivor Group:
For women who have been diagnosed with lung cancer to meet with others who understand their journey and challenges. This group meets monthly from 6:30 – 8:00 p.m. Questions and RSVPs can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org or 952-405-9201.
2020 Meeting Dates:
- April 20: Sarah Barts, Nutrition
- May 18: Maria Rafdal, Acupuncture & Traditional Chinese Medicine
- June 15: Round Robin/Group Sharing
- July 20: TBD
- August 17: Round Robin/Group Sharing
- September 21: TBD
- October 19: TBD
- November 16: Round Robin/Group Sharing
- December 21: Holiday party with a cookie exchange – come hungry!
Additional Resources/Groups: A Breath of Hope Lung Foundation supports local lung cancer groups in the Twin Cities and offers information on cancer support groups open to all cancer patients and their families.