Hope and positive energy are known to bring healing. Every time we support people living with lung cancer, we have taken a step forward in the battle against this disease. A lung cancer diagnosis is frightening, regardless of the situation. Everyone can benefit from support and encouragement.
What is an A Breath of Hope Ambassador?
A Breath of Hope Ambassadors are volunteers who have been personally touched by cancer and want to volunteer their time to help others cope with lung cancer. Some are survivors, some have lost loved ones. All Ambassadors have experienced the pain and fear evoked by a cancer diagnosis, and are willing to volunteer their time to others.
If you or someone you know would make a great ambassador, please contact us.
What services does A Breath of Hope offer?
- Provide Transportation: Ambassadors provide patients with transportation to oncology appointments, treatment and support groups. If you are interested in receiving a ride, please fill out the Volunteer Driver Agreement and Waiver.
- Provide Companionship: Ambassadors may sit at the bedside of someone who is receiving chemotherapy without the support of a family member or friend at their side. They are also available to provide support to patients and caregivers through texts, phone calls, coffee dates or regular in-person meetings. Their role is to listen and offer hope and companionship during the emotional roller coaster of a cancer diagnosis. To be matched with a volunteer, please fill out the Companionship Inquiry Form.
- Provide Awareness/Education: Ambassadors speak publicly about lung cancer and carry important messages to the public about this under-served cancer. A Breath of Hope also offers the first comprehensive patient education program. Our Animated Patient Program is a free resource to patients and families who wish to learn about a lung cancer diagnosis. Information is presented in easy to understand segments, with options to learn in both auditory and visual styles.
- Host Support Groups for Patients and Family Members: A Breath of Hope offers support groups in our Minnetonka office for survivors, as well as those who are grieving a loved one lost to lung cancer. Each group offers opportunities for learning, discussion and support and is led by professional, certified facilitators.
Ambassador Program Health System Partners
The Ambassador Program is available at the following Minnesota hospitals and their affiliates:
- Abbott Northwestern Hospital
- Fairview Riverside Hospital
- Hennepin County Medical Center
- Mercy Hospital
- North Memorial Health Hospital
- Regions Hospital
- United Hospital
- University of Minnesota Masonic Cancer Center
“My husband found out he needed radiation for twenty consecutive days and even with our five adult children, finding rides was difficult. My kids had to take vacation time from work just to drive him to appointments. One day our nurse, Jody, handed us an A Breath of Hope brochure and said ‘They’re waiting for you to call.’ I called the office and gave them my husband’s treatment schedule. They matched us up with a volunteer right away. I thought, ‘oh boy this is a life saver.’ Our A Breath of Hope Ambassadors are just wonderful. They’re here on time and they’re friendly. There’s no guesswork. They won’t take money for gas, so instead we donate to A Breath of Hope to show our support. You don’t know how much of a life saver this program has been. We are so thankful.” – LeaAnn Eng