Hope and positive energy are known to bring healing. Every time we support a lung cancer patient, we have taken a step forward in the battle against this disease. A lung cancer diagnosis is frightening, regardless of the situation. Everyone can benefit from support and encouragement.
What is an A Breath of Hope Ambassador?
A Breath of Hope Ambassadors are volunteers who have been personally touched by cancer and want to volunteer their time to help others cope with lung cancer. Some are survivors, some have lost loved ones. All Ambassadors have experienced the pain and fear evoked by a cancer diagnosis, and are willing to volunteer their time to others.
What do A Breath of Hope Ambassadors do?
Ambassadors can play three primary roles in the ongoing fight against lung cancer.
- Transportation: Ambassadors provide patients with transportation to oncology appointments, treatment and support groups. Email us to receive a patient application or learn more.
- Companionship: Ambassadors may sit at the bedside of someone who is receiving chemotherapy without the support of a family member or friend at their side. They are also available to provide support to patients and caregivers through phone calls or in-person meetings. Their role is to listen and offer hope and companionship during the emotional roller coaster of a cancer diagnosis.
- Awareness/Education: Ambassadors speak publicly about lung cancer and carry important messages to the public about this underserved cancer. A Breath of Hope also offers the first comprehensive patient education program. Our Animated Patient Program is a free resource to patients and families who wish to learn about a lung cancer diagnosis. Information is presented in easy to understand segments, with options to learn in both auditory and visual styles.
- Support Groups for Patients and Family Members
If you or someone you know would make a great ambassador, please contact us.
Ambassador Program Health System Partners
The Ambassador Program is available at the following Minnesota hospitals:
- Abbott Northwestern Hospital
- Fairview Riverside Hospital
- Hennepin County Medical Center
- Mercy Hospital
- North Memorial Health Hospital
- Regions Hospital
- United Hospital
- University of Minnesota Masonic Cancer Center
Click here to sign patient agreement and waiver.
“My husband found out he needed radiation for twenty consecutive days and even with our five adult children, finding rides was difficult. My kids had to take vacation time from work just to drive him to appointments. One day our nurse, Jody, handed us an A Breath of Hope brochure and said ‘They’re waiting for you to call.’ I called the office and gave them my husband’s treatment schedule. They matched us up with a volunteer right away. I thought, ‘oh boy this is a life saver.’ Our A Breath of Hope Ambassadors are just wonderful. They’re here on time and they’re friendly. There’s no guesswork. They won’t take money for gas, so instead we donate to A Breath of Hope to show our support. You don’t know how much of a life saver this program has been. We are so thankful.” – LeaAnn Eng