2022 A Breath of Hope Peg’s Fight for Life Research Award – $150,000
Peg’s Fight for Life Research Award:
A Breath of Hope Lung Foundation (ABOHLF) will provide funding to the winning clinical investigator in the form of a $150,000 award paid every six months for two years. The award is designed to support salaries and other costs related to retaining research talent in the field of lung cancer. Lung cancer is the deadliest cancer killing nearly 150,000 Americans each year, yet research funding support remains disproportionately low per cancer death. Consequently, progress is limited, and talented scientists often move to other, better-funded research fields. Through ABOHLF Fellowships, we ensure that chosen research institutions have the resources needed to retain promising scientists committed to reducing the U.S. lung cancer mortality rate.
- Submission of an online Letter of Inquiry (LOI) will be the first step for investigators seeking a grant from the ABOHLF. The LOI form will be available from November 8, 2021 through December 15, 2021.
- Letter of Inquiry submission is now closed.
- Upon review of submitted LOI’s, A Breath of Hope will invite up to 15 finalists to submit a full application using our online forms.
2022 RFP/Research Award Timeline:
- Nov. 8, 2021: Announcement – Request for letter of inquiry (LOI)
- Dec. 15, 2021: Deadline for LOI submission – online forms reviewed by local ABOH Research Committee
- Jan. 17, 2022: Up to 15 investigators invited to submit full proposal
- March 15, 2022: Deadline for full proposal submission
- March – April 2022: National Scientific Advisory Committee scores 15 proposals;
- April 2022: ABOH Research Committee conducts phone interviews with finalists and their mentor
- April 25, 2022: Winner notified
- May 6, 2022: Winner announced; grant contract sent to institution.
- June 1, 2022: First payment of $37,500 to institution is mailed assuming institution has signed and returned ABOH grant contract